Slider

Family Photos-- I LOVE Them!!

Monday, October 13, 2008

I used to drive up and down North Union St. in St. Louis to get to work. It's kinda a shady, not-so-great part of town, and because of that, there's a lot of...shall we say.... character in that neighborhood.

One thing Joe and I have made jokes about since our time in the city is all of the run-down, kinda scary CHOPSUEY joints that seem rampant in the ghettos. We have all kinds of speculations as to what they might REALLY be, and why they are popular, and what on earth keeps them in business... And we have had many a laugh on the topic of chop suey.
So honestly, why WOULDN'T we twist my photographer friend Jodie's arm and drag her (along with our beautiful baby boy) to a rough part of town and park at the risk of our lives (and cars) to stand in a pile of broken beer bottles and don't-ask-what-THAT-is trash while we smiled oh-so-prettily and looked oh-so-middle-class in front of my favorite wall in all of St. Louis?

I mean, it's part of our family CULTURE-- to make fun of CHOP SUEY.

(I LOVE it. I'm enlarging this to at LEAST a 16x20 for my wall. I am so serious.)


And thus we began our happy, fun, not-so-typical family photo session with Jodie in tow. Poor girl-- never let a photographer book another photographer-- we are bossy, demanding, weird, and full of too many suggestions... Right, Jodie? And yet she took it all in stride and worked MAGIC with out little trio and our crazy locations ( the ghetto, my back alley, a field of weeds...).
The best part was seeing all the photographs Jodie thought up that I would never have imagined. I love her eye and her quick trigger finger (a necessity with a wiggly pre-one-year-old!). So enjoy a few more of my favorites from our delightful photo session with Jodie of J. Allen Photography... And if I can't take your photos, she's a marvelous substitute!








Now the tough part will be deciding which one to put on our Christmas card.... Any favorites, folks?

(Thanks, again, Jodie. They are PERFECT. You made us all look good!)

28 comments:

  1. OMG, those are perfect...PERFECT. I love them all! But I really like the one of Noah from behind with the cute hoodie or the one where he's looking up at your entwined hands -- prob not good candidates for an xmas card though, but seriously they TUG on my heartstrings (and make me oh so jealous I have no one here who can take such good photos). Your family is unbelievably adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:12 PM

    I really love the one where you are holding hands and Noah is looking up at you. Such a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh emily...there are so many that are just amazing and wonderful, they are *YOU*! YAY. Love the one with you guys holding hands and Noah looking up -- perfect for a card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of them where Noah is looking up. Sooo cute! What an awesome family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that honestly just made me tear up! thank you. coming from you that post is the best compliment i have ever gotten. thanks for letting me experiment with you. thanks for guiding me to the ideas that led to great photos. thanks for trusting me. thanks for giving our family equally amazing photos in exchange. thanks for being my friend most of all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea how you are going to choose! Maybe you should have several on the card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:30 PM

    Where on earth did you get Noah's little sweater? I just love the hood it's just tooooo cute. I also love the pic of him looking up while you two are holding his hands...precious. Another fav of mine was the shot of the toes....not for the card you know but, for the memory of sweet little baby feet...your shots gave me some ideas to take with my little one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so sincerely pretty in the one of you and Joe smiling...just before the cutesy kissing one. Absolutely serene. It reminds me of the one you took of me and Neil before the concert.

    It also reminds me that I totally wanted peek-a-boos for the wedding. Dangit! I wonder if it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo, what great pictures!! Love them all. There's something about the serious one that I love, I'm not sure what it is...My grandparents did a mock-up of the "American Gothic" painting where their faces are, of course, so stoic but you know they're laughing inside, it reminds me of that I guess. I also love the one of Noah standing on the chair, and his little toes. But really they're all marvelous. Jodie does great work, and what a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the smiley one of the 3 of you is great for a Christmas card. Although, I do love the one with Noah looking up at you and Joe holding hands. Absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Amelia. I like the very posed serious looking one for your Christmas card. It's so freaking perfect in it's irony. . . LOVE IT. You guys are adorable, and the pictures turned out great. Hooray!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo Jodie! Those are gorgeous.

    I love the one where Noah is looking at your hands - wow. Powerful image.

    I'm with Melanie (and others) - the pseudo-Victoria (minus the clothes but plus the attitude) is fantastic! Even Noah looks like he is in on the act.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your family pictures are amazing! I love the serious one! How in the world you were all able to have a serious face at the same time blows my mind. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are SO sweet....You gave me a couple good ideas for a Christmas card this year. Your family is prescious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:02 AM

    Stunning... just beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! I love how Noah's face mimicks your faces... all of those are INCREDIBLE! I love them.... I can only hope my family pictures turn out as good as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super rad. I LOVE the B&W of you guys in all your solemnity...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love them all!!! I love the one where Noah is looking up at you with your hands entwined. The one with just Noah, I think it's black and white is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. cute cute cute cute!!! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not sure I could pick a Christmas card fav to save my life, but I do love the yellow wall and then the one with you sitting in front of what looks like an outhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are great. I saw them on facebook too. And you have only had them up for a few days and look how many comments. Evidence of their cuteness. I aspire to have as many blog readers as you one day.
    I vote for the feet one on the chair...too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I am way jealous. You do all look fabulous. So many amazing shots. Happy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are such a rockstar momma! I love, love these. You and your little family are spectacular. I always think Noah can't possibly be any cuter, then he proves me wrong time and time again.
    Thank you so much for your talk and help tonight. You are so reassuring and helpful. Love that about you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ha ha Chop Sui... he he.. amen

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are incredible! I love the one of Noah in black and white holding your hands, the one with you holding him up in front of the white garage looking building, the one where he's looking up at you holding hands, and the chop suey shot (we frequent the one on Manchester with the bullet proof shield and the lazy susan to get your food to you - best orange chicken, yum). Too many awesome pics to choose from - a real problem, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  26. they are all PERFECT. i love the holding hands one too. it's nice to see YOU in the pics too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I could bite his toes....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous10:39 AM

    i adore the one by the yellow wall and in front of the barn where your husband is holding up your son!! great photos!! :-) beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan