Slider

Special Moments With My Son...

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Way back at the start of this school year, Fall 2011, Noah began preschool for the first time. He was on the cusp of 4 years old, and was MORE than ready to get out of the house and be around a lot of neat kids his own age. And as much as I loved having him with me, I knew school would be a marvelous thing for him, and so I enrolled him. Three days a week, for 2.75 hours at a time.

The first day of school came, and I took a quick few photos... Then the second day of school rolled around and I took a few more, this time of him in his classroom... And then Fall began kicking my tail with photography business, and those photos drifted to the bottom of the editing pile and never emerged. I felt a bit wistful at that, but vowed I'd still get some "formal" fall school photos of him and POST THEM.

Well, I managed that first part--- in October, with only a little bit of light left, I dragged Noah, Joe, Lucy and an old desk out to my favorite spot in my favorite park, and we found time to get a series of photos that instantly became so DEAR to me. I mean, this kid of mine, SO marvelous, is such a stinker in front of the camera.... But for this magical 30 minutes, he was EVERYTHING I needed him to be, and more. And the light was magical, the setting was incredibly lovely... it was just utterly perfect-- exactly what I'd hoped for.

And yet... as precious as these images ARE, somehow I kept putting off getting them done and blogged... Almost like my harebrained tendency to hoard gift cards for months, like a secret treasure, that's how it felt when I thought about these photos. They were so special to me, I wanted to hoard them just a little longer. (I have a set of photos my amazing friend Katie took in August I'm doing the SAME THING with. What is my PROBLEM??)

Anyway. Now that it is the dead of dreary winter, the golden tones of these photos have finally called out to me and I have gotten them done. And you know what? Like a fine wine, they have only gotten more dear to me over the months. So. Here is Noah. In these photos, he is nearly 4. Already, in the 3 months since taking these, he has changed a bit. How quickly they change.... But. I want to post these simply as an homage to HIM. At 4. My little son, not a toddler anymore at all, and well on his way to being a full-fledged kid. So I will intersperse the photos with little snippets of my Noah, right this minute, and even though the photos are a bit behind, it will all mesh together and be well.

My sweet son:

Photobucket

He is a natural clown, and plays to the laughs as much as he possibly can.

Photobucket

Noah is confident, outgoing, and kind. He has never clung to me or fretted when I drop him off at school. He LOVES that place. When he plays with other kids, be they ANY age, 2 or 12, he immediately thinks he's a "peer" and starts socializing. He loves kids, period. And loves when kids love him back.

Photobucket

He is still completely attached to Old Mai, his lovey. But in addition, he favors various pals that join his merry band. These have included: Llama Llama, Bumblebee the Transformer (up until yesterday, he played with the classic plastic one, but now that Dad has found his plush one, that's his NEW friend), Iron Man, Spider Man, Alfred the kitty, among other critters. He is NOT as attached to "Ducky", the blanket. But that's okay. I love it, and love how he used to love it, so I still brought it for his session.

Photobucket Photobucket

Noah loves books, verbal storytelling, and music. His most recent favorites have been:
Books- Dad's Calvin and Hobbes books, his new Pop-Up Book about anatomy and physiology, and the Poingo books he got as a Christmas gift from our neighbor Opal.
Storytelling- We just made up a cute one yesterday about how a rainbow was formed. We were both enjoying it so much that I forgot to park the car a mile from school for our walk like I normally do, and had to scramble to park somewhere else to get SOME of the walk in, still.
Music- Most recently, he's been begging for me to play the "giddy yup song", i.e. William Tell Overture, i.e. the Lone Ranger song. He loves it! He also loves the Peer Gynt "In the Hall of the Mountain King" song, as well as several Regina Spektor songs, "Dinah" by _____ (Sarah, fill in the blank!), and "Yoshimi Defeats the Evil Robots" by the Flaming Lips.

Photobucket

 Noah is deeply into "games", i.e. pretending. He has these scripts in his head, and INSISTS Joe or I play the other part. More often than not, he is the robot of the story... Even when the story doesn't typically include a robot. For example, his most recent "game" has been for me to play Nala from the Lion King, and he is Bumblebee the Transformer. We are in the Savannah, but other than that, he's not shaped the story much... except that we go to explore the Elephant Graveyard, a concept from the Lion King story that has captured his imagination.
Other "games" include me driving to the pet shop (as just me) and buying a kitty cat, him, and naming him "Sprinkles"/"Picky Picky"/"Alfred"/"Fluffy". He  is usually a blue and turquoise cat for this game. Other games include playing Iron Man, Iron Giant, Wall-E, and so on.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

My sweet Noah is the BEST brother. He loves his Lucy and wants to be the first in her room when she awakes. He wants me to lift him in the crib with her so they can play. And he takes GREAT pride in the fact that he can get her to laugh more than anyone else. He wants to take his bath with her, he loves to see her in the car when he gets in after preschool, and is honestly never rough with her or mean about her. It is heaven to me.

And he's been the best kid in general. I cannot honestly remember the last time we had to follow through with a "time out" situation... he listens to our warnings and adjusts his behaviors. I am amazed and grateful for that.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

He is a happy kiddo. He is a sweet kiddo. I marvel at him and wonder how we've already come this far from the day he was born. I feel incredibly blessed to be his mama, and his steward in this life.

Photobucket

 I love every last one of these photos... I love how much of his true self is in them. And I love that we get to keep him this age forever, if only in images. Because for the moment, I think this little family of mine, just as it is, is just about perfect.
Photobucket Photobucket

(And there they are. No more photo-hoarding for this session. Maybe I can even convince myself to prepare and share the other couple of sets of images I keep hanging onto for a rainy day. It's rainy and dreary right now. What better time than now?)

*
For now, though, it is bedtime. Time to take more Advil to nurse my surprise root canal from today, and time to get to bed and get powered up for another day in this life o' mine. 
G'nite.

7 comments:

  1. These photos are FANTASTIC! You weren't lying about the amazing setting and colors! I love your little family and I wish me and Ryan were closer so that we could more closely see it grow and see the kiddos as they bloom. Love you, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love the photos of your family. Your pictures and story revealed so much of your son's personality. Very inspiring! My name is Jill and I stumbled across your blog recently via Pinterest. You seem like a kindred spirit, so I have been following along, and enjoying your beautiful blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm inspired to try and document some of Nola at this amazing age. I feel like Noah and Nola are on these parallel tracks - Nola too loves making up stories and pretend play and most of all her little sister. This was so incredibly sweet and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos made me ache in many ways. GOOD ways.

    I ache to see you all again! It will happen soon, I hope. I ache for the times of simplicity as a child. The perfect little world you create for yourself! I love every little detail you shared about Noah. That kid is AMAZING.

    Most of all, I ache to have something like this in my life someday.

    I LOVE THESE PHOTOS!! I am so glad you shared them on this terribly gray and wet winter day.

    Finally, the name of the group that does "Dinah" is called The Toughcats. LOVE THAT SONG.

    And I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He truly is a treasure. Callum and I both miss him like crazy!! Beautiful photos! What a gift you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these so much. My kids still talk about when he got to come play at our house and they love seeing photos of him. :) He is growing up too fast, though, so tell him to slow it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    Ohh my gosh I feel like a stalker, I too came from Pinterest because of your fabulous tutorial on the tshirt flowers. Then I started looking at your wonderful photos and your beautiful family. You are truly blessed. Anyway just thought I would let you know that I have enjoyed your blog and amazing photography.
    (((hugs)))
    kim aka imagesbykim

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan