Slider

Randoms on a Gloomy Afternoon:

Thursday, January 10, 2013


*

Today, after trying to wear a maternity shirt and regular jeans for my morning errands, but continually having to tug the shirt down and the pants UP, I gave up, came home, and put on my ugliest, most comfy pajama pants. 

And slippers. 

And my day improved 100%. 

*

I'm having so much fun having an iPhone camera. Instagram name: zayneelady.  Come find me if you wanna.

*

I have ten more days til baby's due date. For once, I'm not wishing/hoping he comes early. And he seems to be complying. He has not dropped, I've only had one "test contraction", and I'm not dilated at all. Still-- despite him being locked in and comfortable, I think he's going to be a big one. The ultrasound tech told me on Monday that he's measuring 8 lbs. already. I usually PFFT at those predictions--- they've NEVER been close on my friends' pregnancies---- but maybe this time, he really is already 8 lbs. !? I wouldn't blame him. I've been hanging onto the gestational diabetes wagon by one hand since Christmas--- technically still ON the wagon, but barely. So if he's put on some weight because of my sins, I would not be surprised. 

I'm so sorry, baby. 

*

True to last pregnancy, my nesting has manifested in the form of sewing and crafting, rather than baseboard scrubbing and baby-clothes washing. I have several crafties I'm in the middle of that aren't even related to the baby, and I'm not even stressed about it. I love having my hands on pretty fabric, fun paint, etc. 

*

I miss blogging as much as I used to. I am thinking I will be trying to do a bit more of it once baby is here and I am not burdened down by work as much. But that could be a HILARIOUS plan. Yeah right. 

And ya know? The other day I was looking for a specific photo from 2009, and was skimming blog posts to find it (never found it).... and it is so interesting to see how blogging has changed in those 3-4 years. We all commented more, didn't we?? We weren't as invested in Facebook yet, so we connected one site at a time- our friends' blogs- and we left comments... had our conversations that way. Now we're all on FB or Twitter or just texting on our phones, and it gets a bit tedious to stop reading the blog you're reading, click through to the actual site, click the "comment section", and leave a note. So much more work. 

I've been used to that for a while, and it's no big deal to only get 1-2 comments these days... but reflecting back 3 years and seeing such neat, fun dialogue in the comment section from then made me a bit melancholy. People just don't do it as much anymore. Which makes me wonder, for as many hits as this silly blog of mine gets, who is even still reading...

Which is OKAY. Truly. I blog for myself. I write to an audience--- I DO think about other people when I write, so it's not a journal in the purest form, but ultimately, I blog for my own need to capture moments and pin them down (much the reason I take photos. Keep a journal. Make Blurb books.)

So as I revisit the feeling that I yearn to be blogging more, part of me thinks I might as well blog like no one's reading. Just let go some of my personal standards (cohesive and relevant photos every time, alternate the rambling emotional posts with more useful or tame craft posts, etc.) and blog what I feel like when I feel like. Even if I don't have photos ready to go with it. *GASP* 

I dunno. 

Baby could come along and take over my life and we could look back at this idea and just laugh and laugh. I could be lucky to even post iPhone photos and no text for the next few months. 

I dunno. 

Hey, wanna comment, for old times' sake? I'd love to know who still comes by. 

No pressure, though. 

*

I'm a Facebook addict. Anyone else? 
(Anyone who is NOT an addict sick of seeing me on there all the time? Wait, maybe I don't want to know.)
I am totally on Facebook all the time. I have a loose blog post already written in my head titled, "I Was Born to Be on Facebook".... a whole personal history that shows how my life path has led to me being a Facebook addict. 

Someday I'll actually make myself sit down and write that post.

*

Randoms might be almost done here--- I hear Lucy stirring from her nap.

*

I wonder if I'll manage to still have SOME of this window of quiet time once baby arrives? The 2-4:30 stretch? Get the baby to sleep during that time a bit, too, and somehow preserve this zone? 

That would be a lovely miracle. 

*

What's on YOUR mind today?

20 comments:

  1. I still read... and am also a FB addict, as you know, so I will never judge you for being one as well.

    Also, what do your OTHER PJs look like if that is your ugliest pair? They look pristine!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl, you KNOW i'm a follower! and just b/c you challenged me, I did a few more clickies...just for you!!! so feel special. can't remember the last time i commented on any blog. probably sooner than MY last blog post was. HA! love you. love the pjs. and wowzers...my new nepher is gonna be MUY grande!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My randoms today would all be about broken things - my file tote for work, the lid to a container of fake snow, the door hanger thing I got from Grandma Lambson that said "Welcome" and had sheep on it - and locking my keys in my car.

    I think I like your randoms better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your blog which I stumbled upon from a link from a friend's blog. I love your crafty posts and honest motherhood posts. We've never met but we could be friends. :)

    I hope you don't vanish after baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me, but I still LOVE your blog and read every post. Good luck with baby #3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still read it too.......if only to be amazed by your photos and crafts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, it's funny. I've been thinking the same thing about my blog(s). Comments have just become so rare that I'd begun to wonder if I should even bother to blog (In fact, that is why I have (temporarily?) given up on my writing-blog attempt).

    But for my personal blog, I just reminded myself of the same thing- that while I write for the benefit of an audience, it is ultimately for myself- another way to archive my life and musings and goings on. I still love to read comments because it helps me know that someone else, at least, is reading what I have to share. But I am learning to accept that they are most likely going to be few and far between (heck, I'm guilty of blog-reading-without-commenting, so I can't really fault others for the same, right?).

    And for my randoms today, I stayed indoors pretty much the whole day (except to switch my car to the other side of the street)- most of my time has been trying to finally get yours and mom's 2012 birthday presents compiled. But there has also been a fair amount of Netflixing as I have started working on organizing my filing cabinet and trying to set up a food storage shelf. So, not much random, I guess.

    (So, there you are- a monster of a comment to let you know that I still read you blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read your blog AND am FB friends with you, but I love the down to earthiness you have here. It seems more Emily than FB. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dropping by to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Read this last night, but I find that when I'm on the ipad or my phone, I hate commenting because I HATE typing on that eensy weensy keypad. I don't know if it's my fat fingers, or what, but typing long notes are the bane of my existence.

    It totally makes sense that you've seen a decrease in comments...how funny, though, because it isn't something I would have thought about. I know that people read blogs even more than they used to-they are mainstream these days, but it kind of surprised me that the commenting has dropped.

    I am so excited for you that you're ready for #3...and that he'll be here soon! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is kinda funny...but I'm just realizing...I don't comment on almost any blog anymore, because *I* don't get a response or the confirmation that my comment is being seen! It's like a mini version of Blog Insecurity. I love when bloggers come back and respond to comments (it's usually only done on big famous blogs, it seems like) and it becomes a conversation--more like FB, a bit. I know that if you started doing this, you'd spend your life here, though, because I'm betting we'd all be back multiple, multiple times to continue the conversation on EACH blog post. Maybe that's what the "Subscribe to Post Comments" link is supposed to facilitate? I know that LiveJournal is much better set up for comment-conversations...it's kinda clunky on Blogger.

    That was long. And long-winded.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been reading your blog for a while and have even commented a few times, but have been afraid of seeming like a stalker since we don't know each other personally. My daughter is a month older than Lucy and we live in Wentzville. I love your photos and since you are one of the only local blogs I read, it's nice that when you mention various places, I can totally picture what you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genny (in case you come back and read this), if it makes you feel better, my comment was even more long-winded.

    And what is LiveJournal? Is it another blog site? Because I'm tired of Blogger and all it's editing stupidity, so I'm looking for a new blog site. I like the idea of comment conversations, too! I try to respond when people comment on my blog, though it doesn't always happen...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elise, I feel so validated for coming back! Yes, it's a blogging platform/community, and I've heard that a ton of people switch over there after getting so frustrated with Blogger. Let us know if you end up migrating--I definitely read everything you post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gen, I always feel like people, knowing I usually DON'T comment on the comments, would not come back to check... since it would be fruitless.

    But I know what you mean. The world of FB has given us an "immediate response" gratification and we can "like" and lightly comment on EVERYTHING ASAP and easily, with notifications that it happened, to boot.

    We're all part of the ebb and flow... so I don't mind that it ebbed away from blog commenting...

    Still. All these comments have been so good for my heart and chi these past couple of days. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read your blog and actually leave comments, too. I love reading about you, your family, seeing your latest picture genius, etc... I am not friends on FB, simply because I feel like I am turning into a FB addict and I hate myself all the more fore becoming so. (I finally figured out I have TWO FB accounts, and am so frustrated that I cannot merge them into one account.)

    I get discouraged that no one comments on my blog, and it reinforces my "stinking thinking" that my life is soooo boring. I crave attention in all forms, and when I don't get it, I make it one more reason to not be content. I love the philosophy that I blog for me, as a way to journal my life. I started a blog just after my GB surgery so everyone could see the journey with me. Not sure how that is going, but I feel largely ignored.

    Anyway, thanks for the randomness. I feel less silly about my own random thoughts when I read yours. And those pajama bottoms are SO not ugly. I thought they were cute...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stumbled onto your blog thru pinterest over a year ago...I've never posted a comment and your the only blogger I have ever followed...Love all your work! Pics/Crafts/Words of Wisdom from one mom to another!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm here! I love ALL things Emily!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read, I read! I must keep up with my parallel-life "virtual" friend :) I really think that little Lu and my Harper are twins. Have I mentioned that? So similar with their cranky moments, blonde hair, blue eyes and spunk. Who know? Some day they may be friends... I love following your life, crafts, thoughts and visions here, and FB :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know I adore you, my dear. In addition to reading on phones and such, I think that feed readers have greatly contributed to my decreasing commenting. Leaving one site to go to another is just enough of a tiny roadblock that sometimes keeps me from saying something.

    But that makes me sad. Comments make the writing feel more valid, you know?

    Love you. Will comment more often. And maybe baby will pull you to more of a quiet-homebody mode that lends itself to blogging...

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan